free counter statistics

Monday, April 17, 2006

Update - ELP OXY

EPL opened in the pre-market at $26.65, right around where it closed on Thursday. It then drifted lower to as low as $26.16 at 8:42am. But then at the opening bell there was a HUGE spike up to $27.95!!! Crude oil did touch $70 a barrel but that was well before 9:30 from what I understand. My chart for this morning shows a bunch of trades at $27.95 after 9:30 all the way till 10am even though the price was dropping below that price. So I assume my chart is a little messed up this morning, but I confirmed elsewhere that the opening price was $27.95. the price dropped from the opening spike to as low as $26.31 at 10:16am and has risen back to $26.60 since. So I hope Tbone who commented that he shorted at $26.65 was able to cover for a nice profit before the opening spike. The news out this weekend about Iran and their nuclear program would have had me a little worried over the weekend had I shorted as it did have an effect on the oil price.

With OXY this morning, anyone that shorted on Thursday at the $97.75 level had a chance to get out because the stock traded below that level for the first 30 minutes of the pre-market for what would have been slight gains. The stock then continued to climb to as high as $99.17 by around 11am. This rise again would I'm sure be attributed to the rise in oil price.

Comments on "Update - ELP OXY"

 

post a comment