free counter statistics

Monday, March 13, 2006

MATK and FNSR Update

Well, MATK went down early in the premarket this morning. It went as low as $34.20 in the premarket, a .52 cent drop from the fake short point. So I would have easily hit my .30 target. So at 200 shares I could have made $60.00 (minus commissions).

The stock then shot up right at the opening bell to its high for the day of $35.06 followed by a low of $34.07 at around 10:20am. This could have been another excellent short in hindsight. I wasn't really watching the stock at this point so I didn't do another fake short. I also don't really think about shorting the same stock twice in the same day. I like to take my money and move onto the next day. Also, day trading rules must be considered. I am only allowed to have a buy and sell order for the same stock in the same day a maximum of 3 times in any 5 day window. So ideally shorting the day before and covering in the morning will avoid this.


FNSR was another story. This one went up to $5.00 around 10:00am much to my surprise. Now it didn't stay there long so it would have been tough to short (due to my restriction of only shorting stocks above $5). But, if I were able to, and shorted my full amount of 1500 shares, the price did drop to a low of $4.83. A nice .17 cent gain at 1500 shares would be $255.00. My target was a .10 cent drop and I would have been happy with that. Luckily though I didn't/couldn't short after hours the on Friday since it would have been around $4.60. This would have caused a loss and most likely my stop loss would have kicked in to get me out with a limited loss.

This one sort of scared me though. Like I said, I don't think people realize how much they are paying up for the stock when the stocks are so cheap. At the high of 5, that represented an increase of 14.4% from the previous close of $4.37.

Also of note I like to notice that the high was $5.00 which is a psychological number to investors (any round number is really). Many could have set $5.00 as their sell point to take profits since it is a nice target, thus leading to the decline.


Well, Jim is on in 10 minutes! Lets see what he has for us tonight! Hopefully he isn't on vacation this week!

Comments on "MATK and FNSR Update"

 

post a comment